Santa Anita News
RACING CANCELLED DUE TO HEAVY OVERNIGHT RAIN, SANTA ANITA OUTLOOK FOR SUNDAY OPTIMISTIC
ARCADIA, Calif. (Feb. 6, 2010)—Live racing has been cancelled for Saturday at Santa Anita due to heavy overnight and early morning rain that rendered the main track unsuitable for racing, according to racing officials. The decision to cancel was made at 8:30 a.m.
“This is obviously very disappointing,” said Santa Anita General Manager George Haines. “The main track is draining better than it was a month ago, but we got very substantial rain overnight and this morning and as a result, we had standing water in several areas.
“As we’ve said all along, safety is going to be our number one priority in determining whether or not we’re able to run and the situation this morning was not good. That said, this weather system is supposed to be completely cleared out by late this afternoon and we are optimistic about being able to run tomorrow.”
Santa Anita was scheduled to run 10 races on Saturday, including five stakes: the $65,000 Leroidesanimaux Handicap, the Gr. I, $250,000 Las Virgenes Stakes, the $60,000 Wishing Well Handicap, the Gr. II, $150,000 Robert B. Lewis Stakes, and the Gr. II, $200,000 Strub Stakes.
All of these stakes will be rescheduled for next weekend, Feb. 13, 14 and 15.
“We’re going to remain in consultation with the horsemen and we hope to have a decision as to when all of these important races will be rescheduled just as soon as possible,” said Haines. “We know that in many cases, owners and trainers are plotting schedules with their respective horses and they need to know when these races are going to be offered back. This is a very difficult situation and we will let everyone what our plan is as quickly as possible.”
Santa Anita also offered a Pick Six carryover on Saturday of $85,150. The carryover will be offered on the next live racing program, which is scheduled for Sunday.
Saturday’s cancellation marked the fourth cessation of live racing at the current meet, as racing was also cancelled due to rain on Jan. 18, 21 and 22.
Santa Anita is open Saturday for simulcast racing from around the country, and admission and parking is free. All fans who received Mystery Mutuel Tickets through the mail for Saturday can use these tickets for simulcast racing Saturday, or they may use them next Saturday, Feb. 13. Club House passes that were included with the mailing will also be honored Feb. 13.
In deference to the Super Bowl, Santa Anita has an early first post time scheduled for Sunday, with the first of eight races scheduled to go at 11 a.m.
For more information, fans are encouraged to visit www.santaanita.com, or call (626) 574-7223.